Saturday, June 16, 2012

How to be a funny man 4

My Fourth Comedy  Open Mike

              Decided to hit up a place called 'Amnesia' on Valencia @ 19th in San Francisco, Signed up around 7 i think and they threw the names into a jar and I got up 2nd last but there was only like 15 of us so it wasn't too long. There was still maybe 15 people around. The stage was raised up about 4 feet and the room was long with most people way at the back of the room. Again the room consisted mainly of comics and some musical performers. There was a cool 50 year old guy dressed as a clown who played some psychedelic music and said some cool things, almost simulating a trip. Fun
                                                                    (Not me in the photo, justa picture of the venue)
               So this time as i knew my chance was coming up I was still mellow, went out for a breath of fresh air and swung my arms round a bit to get the blood flowing to the brain.. walked up and got a little intro as a "newbie" walked up the steps and under the lights. Nerves were nothing compared to the first time on stage. On stage i'm thinking super fast but talking super slow. I can see everyone and hear everything and am hyper aware of the room but still to scared to interact with the room in depth. Some people were talking so I pulled them up on it and laughed it off and continued on . Got a few genuine laughs but know that i am no where near my potential. I am slow, immobile, slurring words and missing rythms and not word perfect yet. I would say weak, but optimistic. Still running that bombing the last time on stage over in my head, but conscious that this is the process. Glad I got up.... i feel like a lot of comics who start out might relate to this.... I am trying to get away from my bad performances with every further performance.... My brain is getting into gear . With the comics and on the street i hold my own and perhaps outshine some of the lads, but once on stage with a mike in my hand I am the slow one... It is psychological.. I know i will overcome it with a few hundred more shows and then i think i will see big steps..

               Came to the conclusion with Chris Duncan ( a fellow comedian with 2years hard graft down)  that there are many ways to bomb and that I am not bombing in the worst way. So that is good. I see good times ahead for Chris. His stage presence and 'likablity' are thorough the roof, just a few subtle nuances and some luck and he will hit where he wants. A talented young man who appears fearless. A good inspiration and good fella. If you are reading this Chris HI!!!!!  Here is his facebook page. Tell him glowpunk sent ya ! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris-Duncan-Comedy/194889017225824?ref=ts

              Getting up 5 times next week, so hoping to see improvement by the end of the week... I guess that is why i feel like keeping a diary of this. Apart from maybe helping others there is an element of being able to look back and see real progress in mind and skill.

Right people
Peace

Glowpunk

3 comments:

Mearsley said...

Great work man, that takes real balls. Any insight into how your preparing your routine? Are u running it by many people?

I'm really excited to see how u get on.

Francis Cronin said...

i write it down and say it in front of the mirror like a freak sometimes i record the audio, mainly looking for flow of words and clarity of story. I have noticed in my limited experience that clarity of story or premise is very important. Then sometimes I ask a friend do you like this concept or joke. Im only starting man, but when ever you think of something funny write it down or text it to yourself. And then just expand it out.

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled upon this blog. Man, ive been following you for a while now and see real potential It sounds like you are believing in yourself. Keep at it. You are nearly there. In the meantime I will keep watching.