Monday, June 11, 2012

How to be a funny man 2

My Second Comedy Open Mic

           So, Second time up tonight, it was across town at 'Dirty Trix'  408 Clement Avenue. The room was kinda cool, about 20 people there so much quieter then the brainwash. It was a nice atmosphere to try stand up in, it had an attentive crowd, some of whom were just there to have a beer and listen. Again there were some people who were great and some who were terrible.

          I feel like i might have done just about enough not to be associated with the terrible.  Felt stronger on stage. I wasn't as nervous getting up and the pulse rate was not at the high level it was at the night in the Brainwash Cafe. The host was a nice fella and they had little music intros, the lighting was cool and it had a kinda cool red curtain behind the performers which gave that nice atmosphere.

Again we signed up at about 7 and went got up at about 9.30. I had walked 2 hours for some meetings that morning, so I was super tired, but had a Redbull to get the head in order. To get there I walked and got a lift on my friends push bike. Took about an hour. Again got up and did about 2 mins 30 secs and felt like it went great compared to the first night... Even handled a few heckles, all be them pretty chilled. I think i may have been to aware of the room and gone a little fast, but that was ok for me... Me and Tom met a nice guy called Chris Duncan who is a 5 year vet and is awesome on stage and he kind of gave us some light pointers. Basically get up again and enjoy it..

           So yep a lot less nerves and a better delivery all be it pretty bad. Still havn't told a dick joke or used too much bad language. It seems to be easier if you go blue, but I just don't want to go that route...

          Tom is heading off on holidays so hopefully I will still get up on stage when he is gone, I guess we'll see, Thursday night is the next one, back in the Brainwash. Hopefully it will go ok, but I have heard that you need to be prepared to play to complete silence and to bomb when you are starting out. Hasn't happened yet but I think it could happen soon...

Two down, number three coming up... gotta keep getting up and face the fear... that terribly seductive adrenaline. Right now I feel like my material is hacky and weak, looking forward to cracking and writing some good bits.


No comments: